Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews

Religious Worker Visa

A religious worker visa allows for individuals working in a ministerial or religious organization role to come to the UK for a certain amount of time to work.

For details on the process or to speak to one of our friendly immigration lawyers who will advise you on the application, call us today on 03334149244 or fill out the contact form on our website.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts


    You are able to apply for a Religious Worker visa if:

    • You want to do religious work for a non-pastoral religious occupation or religious organization
    • You meet the other eligibility requirements

    You will be granted residency in the UK for up to 24 months (2 years).

    You can enter the UK up to 14 days (2 weeks) before the start date of your job.


    To be eligible to apply for the Religious worker visa, you must:

    • Have a certificate of sponsorship reference number from your UK sponsor
    • Have sufficient funding to support yourself in the UK (£1,270 in savings)
    • Be 18 or over when you apply

    You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK.


    To be eligible for this visa, you will need a certificate of sponsorship from your Sponsor.

    Your Sponsor is the company you will be working for during your residency in the UK, and must be recognised by the UK government as a genuine business that is qualified to give certificates of sponsorship.

    The certificate you will receive has a unique reference number which is integral to your application.

    It also contains specific information to your role within the company, and what you will be doing while you are in the UK.


    You will need to show you have at least £1,270 in savings to prove you are able to support yourself financially while you are in the UK.

    You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for the Religious Worker visa.

    There is also the application fee, which is £259 per person applying.

    There is a healthcare surcharge fee which is usually £624 per year.

    If you are bringing any dependants with you, they will also need to prove that they have at least:

    • £285 for your partner
    • £315 for one child
    • £200 for each additional child

    Your employer (sponsor) may offer to cover the cost.

    Documents you must provide

    • A valid passport or recognised identity document
    • A valid certificate of sponsorship from your sponsor
    • Financial capability evidence such as a bank statement
    • Proof of relationship with dependants if relevant
    • TB test results if you are from one of these countries

    someone writing on a note with a laptop in front of them

    Processing time

    You will typically hear back with a decision within:

    • 3 weeks if you are outside the UK
    • 8 weeks if you are inside the UK

    For dependants, processing time is usually 8 weeks providing there are no errors within their application.

    It is imperative that you ensure all documents and supporting evidence is correct and filed correctly in the event of an interview.

    If you have inconsistencies within your application, you will be notified of this but it will hinder the processing time of your application.


    You can:

    • Study in the UK
    • Work in your sponsored role
    • Work a second job in the same sector at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
    • Work a job on the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week
    • Bring any dependants you have with you to the UK

    You cannot:

    • Receive UK public funds
    • Breach your certificate of sponsorship or your visa requirements


    Dependants are classed as someone who is a:

    • Spouse, civil partner, or unmarried partner
    • Child under the age of 18
    • Child over the age of 18 if they are already living in the UK as your dependent

    Any dependent relatives joining you in the UK must make a separate visa application and they can apply to join you online.

    To be eligible they will need to be able to prove their relationship with you and must also show that they have enough money to be financially supported whilst in the UK.

    You will need to show that there is at least:

    • £285 for your partner
    • £315 for one child
    • £200 for each additional child

    Extending or switching the visa

    You are able to extend your visa if you continue to remain within your visa requirements.

    You should apply before your current visa expires.

    Someone signing legal documents

    How we can help

    Obtaining ILR or citizenship is a long process, which can have an uncertain result. Our Immigration team is qualified and ready to help you with visa applications or walking you through the process.

    Navigating visa routes or application forms can be tricky, especially if you speak a different language.

    We have friendly, experienced lawyers waiting to help you with you and your families immigration case today.

    Our list of assistance includes but is not limited to:

    • Provide a Letter of Representation
    • Assist you in completing your application to the best it can be, including fixing errors and proofreading
    • Conduct a thorough document check to make sure everything is included in your application
    • Walk you through eligibility for multiple visas that best suit your needs
    • Help you prepare for both the Life in the UK test and your English language examination
    • Liaise with the Home Office on your behalf throughout the entire process

    Call us today on 03334149244 or fill out the contact form on our website.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Religious Worker visas are temporary work visas for non UK citizens to be employed as religious worker, in roles such as:

    • Ministers
    • Priests
    • Educators
    • Translators
    • Missionaries, etc.

    If you are exceptionally talented or wealthy or have a familial connection to the UK, you can move to the UK without a job as long as you obtain the correct visa.

    A friend, family member or business associate can be the sponsor in support of the UK Visitor Visa application.

    The documents required to sponsor UK Visitor Visa include proof of accommodation and the sponsor’s bank balance.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on your High Potential Individual case. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.