Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews

Applying for a UK Spouse Visa Extension as a South African

If you have a UK Spouse Visa and wish to remain in the United Kingdom, then our attorneys can help you apply for an extension of your visa.

Contact our team today on 0333 305 3612 to begin your extension application.


    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Spouse Visa extension?

    The Spouse Visa is a type of Family Visa that is also known as a Partner Visa. It allows the partner of a British citizen or settled person to join them in the UK and is valid for up to 30 months. If you’ve moved from South Africa to the UK with this visa, but would like to continue living in the UK, then you’ll need to apply to extend your Spouse Visa.

    This visa extension will be valid for another 30 months. If you still don’t want to return to South Africa after this time, then you could settle in the UK with your partner by applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

    The eligibility requirements to extend a Partner Visa are the same as the original visa and you’ll need to prove that you are still able to meet these.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews Logo

    Spouse Visa extension requirements

    To be eligible for the Spouse Visa extension, you will need to meet all the requirements that you originally met in your visa application, these include:

    • Being married to or in a civil partnership with a person who is a British Citizen or has been granted settled status in the UK
    • Meeting the financial requirements
    • Passing the Genuine Relationship test
    • Demonstrating your knowledge of the English language
    • Evidence of suitable accommodation whilst you stay in the UK

    You will not automatically be granted an extension for already having a Spousal Visa so you’ll need to gather the documents to show that you still meet these requirements currently.

    How to apply for a Spouse Visa extension

    You should apply to extend your visa prior to your current visas expiration date and you can do this by using the online form on You cannot apply for the Partner Visa extension if you are currently in South Africa as you must be living in the UK. If the Partner Visa you have runs out before you hear back about the application, you don’t need to return to South Africa and you are allowed to stay in the United Kingdom whilst you wait for a decision from the Home Office.

    To make an application, you’ll need to fill in the online form and submit any supporting documents that you may have as well as the required documents. You’ll also need to pay an application fee, which is £1,048 as of February 2023.

    Once you’ve done these things, you’ll just need to wait for your decision from the Home Office. This usually takes around 6 weeks but may take longer if they require any additional information from you after you’ve made the initial application.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to learn how to apply for a Spouse Visa extension Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How can IAS help?

      Here at the Immigration Advice Service, our attorneys have helped thousands of people to be successful with their immigration applications and this includes applications for visa extensions. Our attorneys offer an Application Package that will ensure you’ re guided through every step of the process for your extension application.

      If you hire one of our immigration attorneys to help you, they will:

      • Assist you with filling in an application form for a Partner Visa extension
      • Explain the requirements you need to meet and help you to gather all of the documents you need to prove you’re able to do this
      • Checking your application and the supporting documents to ensure they are accurate and completed to a high standard
      • Monitoring the application and communicating with the Home Office to keep you updated on the progress of your application
      • Writing you a letter of representation that will support your application

      Our attorneys will be there throughout the process to answer any questions you may have. They also offer a fast-track application service so, if your visa is due to run out soon, they will work hard to make sure that your application is submitted as quickly as possible.

      For help with your Partner Visa extension application, or any other immigration application, contact us today on 0333 305 3612.

      Required Documents

      To be able to meet the requirements for to extend your Spouse Visa, you need to submit several types of documents as evidence that you’re able to meet these criteria.

      The documents you need to submit include:

      • Proof your relationship with your partner is genuine – photos, shared bank statements, media, tickets
      • Evidence that you and your partner have been living together and you have suitable accommodation – shared tenancy agreement or mortgage
      • Proof you can meet the financial requirements – bank statements, payslips, etc.

      As well as your supporting documents, you’ll also need to provide some other documents, these include:

      • Your passport or another valid form of ID
      • Copies of the photo page on your passport as well as any visas or entry stamps on previous passports
      • Your Biometric Residence Permit if you have one
      • Your Tuberculosis test results

      It is important to note that if any of your documents are not in English or Welsh then you will have to get them professionally translated, our attorneys can help you to do this.

      Switching from a Spouse Visa to Indefinite Leave to Remain

      If you wish to make the UK your permanent residence, then you could do so by applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

      If you’ve already extended your Spouse Visa and have lived in the UK for 5 years, then you will be able to apply for permanent residency in the UK. Indefinite Leave to Remain will give you the freedom to live, work, and study in the United Kingdom permanently and without immigration restrictions.

      As well as living in the United Kingdom under your visa for 5 years, there are other requirements you’ll have to meet to be granted ILR , these include:

      • You do not have a criminal record and you can not be in breach of British immigration laws
      • You have to pass the Life in the UK Test
      • You must be able to meet the continuous residence requirements; this means you can’t have moved back to South Africa. You are allowed to have visited but you must not have spent more than 180 days outside the UK in 12 months during the qualifying period.

      Once you’ve held ILR for 12 months, you’ll be eligible to apply for British Citizenship.

      If you’ve already renewed your visa once but would like to remain in the United Kingdom without applying for ILR, then you can renew your visa for a second time instead.

      Indefinite Leave to Remain under a Spouse Visa
      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Frequently Asked Questions

                Once you’ve made the application, you will usually receive a decision from the Home Office within 8 weeks. However, the time it takes to hear back can increase in some circumstances such as if you’re required to submit more documents.

                If the visa you have runs out whilst you’re waiting for your decision, then you can remain in the UK until you receive this.

                The Spouse Visa extension cost as of February 2023 is £1,048, as well as this fee you should also consider other costs.

                You will might be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, which will give you access to the NHS. You will also have to pay to get your biometric information taken, this is your fingerprints and photo, it costs £19.20 to get this done.

                If your application to extend your Spouse Visa is refused, then our attorneys can help you to appeal this decision. It is important that you submit an appeal as soon as possible.

                With our appeals package, one of our attorneys will use their immigration law expertise to create an appeal application and will submit this for you. They will guide you through the appeal process and do their best to give the extension application a second chance.

                If your appeal is also refused, then you will either have to return to South Africa or you could remain in the United Kingdom using a different immigration route, such as a UK work visa. Our attorneys can speak to you about your circumstances and advise you on your eligibility for other visas and immigration options.

                For more information about appealing a decision by the Home Office, contact us on 0333 305 3612  we are happy to help with any questions you may have