Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews

UK Fiance Visa for South African Citizens

The UK government recently announced an increase in the minimum income requirements from £18,600 to £38,700. This comes into effect in Spring 2024.  Get in touch with us now for up-to-date information on how this could impact you.

If you are in South Africa but would like to marry your partner in the UK then you could be eligible for a UK Fiance Visa.

Our attorneys can assist you with your application, to enquire about their help speak to them now on 0333 305 3612.


    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a UK Fiance Visa?

    The UK Fiance Visa can give you the chance to relocate from South Africa to the UK and begin a life with your British partner. It’s the first step for many couples who wish to make the UK their permanent home. If you are granted the UK Fiance Visa you will be allowed stay in the UK for 6 months to marry your partner.

    If you want to remain in the UK after this 6 months is up time you will need to apply for another UK immigration category, such as the Spouse Visa. You will be eligible for the Spouse Visa once you have married your partner and this will allow you to live, work, and study in the UK for up to 30 months.

    Its worth noting that the Fiance Visa doesn’t allow you to work in the UK.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews Logo

    The eligibility requirements for a Fiancé Visa UK

    In order to be eligible to enter the UK as a fiancé you must be in a serious relationship with a British Citizen or person with settled status in the UK. You also must have been in a relationship for at least two years as well as meeting in person at least once before you make the application. As well as this there are several other requirements you will need to meet to be granted a Fiancé Visa.

    These requirements include:

    • Passing the Genuine Relationship test
    • Proving you intend to marry or enter a civil partnership with your partner whilst you are in the UK
    • Meeting the financial requirement, which means your partner having an income of £38,700 per annum (this will be the eventual threshold after increasing in increments throughout 2024)
    • Demonstrating your knowledge of the English language
    • Showing you intend to live together in the UK once you are married
    • Proving you and your partner will have suitable accommodation whilst in the UK

    South African citizens will also need to pass a Tuberculosis test before coming to the United Kingdom on a Fiancé visa.

    Applying for a UK Fiancé Visa from South Africa

    An application for a UK Fiancé Visa can only be made from outside the UK, so you must apply whilst you are still in South Africa. You should start your application by filling in the form on the website and paying the application fees.

    Before starting your application, you should make sure that you have all of the documents and information that you will need, these include:

    • Your name and date of birth
    • A passport or other valid form of ID, you will need copies of the photo pages as well as any old visas you may have
    • Your parent’s date of birth and nationality
    • Information about you and your partner’s relationship
    • Details of any previous marriages and divorce certificates if applicable
    • Your Tuberculosis test results

    You may also be required to submit more information.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to learn how to apply for a UK Fiance Visa. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      The English language requirement

      Due to its many national languages, South Africa is not recognized as a majority English speaking country. This means that to get a UK Fiancé Visa you must be able to prove that you have a knowledge of the English language.

      To do this you will need to prove that you can read, write, speak, and understand the English language. You can do this by passing a SELT test at a registered UK test centre at level A1.

      You will need to submit your pass certificate when you make your application.

      You don’t have to demonstrate your knowledge of English if you hold a qualification of degree level or higher that was taught in English.

      The Genuine Relationship Test

      The genuine relationship requirement is one of the most important requirements when it comes to being granted a UK Fiancé Visa. It is used to assess whether your relationship is genuine and long-lasting. To to meet this requirement you will need to provide a portfolio of evidence from your relationship.

      Information you may need to submit includes:

      • Bank statements from any joint bank accounts you may have
      • Information detailing your relationship, such as where you met and how long you have been together for
      • Reference letters from family members of professionals to support your claims of a genuine relationship

      There are many other types of documents and information you can include in your portfolio to pass the genuine relationship test.

      Switching from a UK Fiancé Visa to a Spouse Visa 

      The UK Fiancé Visa gives you entry to the UK for a period of 6 months, during this time you should have married your partner in the UK. At the end of this period you will need to apply for another type of visa to stay in the UK, the most common choice is the Spouse Visa, this is also known as the partner visa.

      The Spouse Visa allows people outside of the UK to remain here as a partner of a British Citizen or settled person, you will be eligible once you are married to or in a civil partnership. The visa is valid for up to 30 months, if you do not wish to return to South Africa after this time then you can apply for an extension of your Spouse Visa which will be valid for another 30 months.

      You can apply using the online form on the website, you should apply before your Fiancé Visa expires. To be eligible you must be able to meet the requirements, many of which are similar to the requirements for a Fiancé Visa, such as proving your relationship is genuine and that you have a knowledge of the English language.

      If you would like to continue living in the UK once your Spouse Visa extension runs out then you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR is an important step for you and your partner to be able to live together permanently in the UK, being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain status will give you the freedom to live, work, and study in the UK without immigration restrictions and you can apply after living in the United Kingdom for 5 years under a Spouse Visa.

      If you don’t wish to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain you can also apply to extend your stay in the UK if you apply for another Spouse visa extension.

      How can IAS help with a Fiancé Visa UK?

      At the Immigration Advice Service our attorneys have vast knowledge when it comes to UK Fiancé Visas they are highly trained and can help you with an application for a visa. We understand just how complicated, time-consuming, and frustrating this process can be, especially when you are eager to begin your life in the UK with your loved one. So, our attorneys will work hard to make the process as stress-free as possible and give you the best chance of having a successful application.

      One of the most complicated aspects of the UK Fiancé Visa process is having all the evidence you need to meet the requirements, particularly the genuine relationship requirement. Our attorneys can assess you on your eligibility and will help you to gather everything you need for your portfolio, and they can even write you a Letter of Representation to submit alongside your application to support it.

      Applying for any UK Visa from South Africa can seem complex when you are so far away, but our IAS attorneys will be there to provide you with all the information you need as well as answering any questions you may have. They offer appointments over the phone and via Skype call and can carry out all of their services this way, ensuring you get all the help you may need.

      To learn more about how one of our attorneys can help you, or to begin your Fiancé Visa application today simply enquire online or call out team on 0333 305 3612.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Frequently Asked Questions

                It will usually take around two to three months to get a decision about your Fiance Visa application, but this process can be delayed if you are required to submit any more information. To speed up the process you should ensure there are no errors in your application and that you submit a comprehensive portfolio of evidence alongside the application, our attorneys can help you do this.

                If you need a decision quickly then the Home Office also offers priority services for a fee. Our attorneys also offer a fast-track application package that can see your application completed and submitted in as little as 24 hours.

                Once the application has been made our attorneys can continue to monitor its progress and give you regular updates.

                Usually, you will not be able to get an extension of a Fiance Visa as you are expected to get married within the period of 6 months. However, in some circumstances, you may be able to get an extension if you have been unable to get married within this time and have a good reason for this.

                For a Fiance Visa extension you will need to meet the original requirements of the Fiance visa and provide evidence for the reason that your marriage or civil partnership has not already happened.

                If your application for a Fiance Visa gets refused by the Home Office then you may be able to appeal the decision and get the Home Office to reconsider your application.

                If you wish to launch an appeal you must do so as quickly as possible and our attorneys offer an Appeal Package to assist you through the process. They will explain everything you need to do and will help you gather any more evidence that you may need.

                Speak to our attorneys about your appeal today on 0333 305 3612, they are here to help

                The application fee for a Fiance Visa is £1,538 as of February 2023. You should also consider other costs, like that of your English language test and other services you may need such as document translations.

                If you have a child under the age of 18 who is with you in South Africa then you can apply to bring them with you as your dependent under the Fiance Visa. It’s important to note that you will also need to pay the visa application fees for any dependents you wish to bring with you.