UK Investor Visa
Note: The Investor visa is now closed to new applicants. Applicants looking to immigrate to the UK on a similar scheme may instead apply for the Innovator Founder visa.
Those still in the UK on an Investor visa can still apply to extend their, visa, settle in the UK or apply for their family members to join them.
The Tier 1 Investor Visa is a UK immigration permission designed for those with large sums of money to invest in the UK. It is available to those who have at least £2,000,000 in funds available to invest in active and trading UK businesses.
The funds must be held in one or more regulated financial institutions and the funds must be free to spend (disposable) in the UK.
The Investor Visa is an immigration permission offering particularly attractive benefits, including the possibility to apply for UK settlement after just two years of UK residence in some cases.
UK Tier 1 Investor Visa Eligibility
In order to be eligible for the Investor Visa, you will need to be able to fulfil a number of requirements. The most fundamental requirement is that you have at least £2,000,000 in investment funds and that you have access to the money.
You will also need to meet the following conditions:
- Must be 18-years-old or over
- Must be able to prove that the money belongs to either you, your spouse/civil partner or your unmarried partner
- Must have opened an account at a UK regulated bank to use the funds
Your funds must be held in one (or more) regulated financial institutions and the funds must be disposable. The money can be in the UK or overseas when you make your UK Investor Visa application.
Evidence of Investment Funds
If you wish to invest your own money, you will need to show evidence of the sum of money you have and where the money came from.
If you plan to use your partner’s money, you must provide the following information with your application:
- A certificate of marriage/civil partnership
- If you are not married, you must provide evidence which demonstrate that you have been in a long-term and committed relationship for at least two years
- A statement from your partner which confirms that they have given permission for you to use the funds. This statement must be accompanied by a letter from a legal advisor, confirming the validity of the declaration
The Business Requirement
As well as the financial requirement itself, it is imperative that the business which you wish to invest in is an active and trading one and is officially registered in the UK.
You will need to ensure that:
- Your UK business has been registered with Companies House in the UK
- Your UK business has at least two UK-based employees (in addition to directors)
- Your investing business has registered with HM Revenue and Customs for corporation tax and PAYE purposes
- Your UK business has registered UK bank accounts
Required Evidence of UK Bank Account
To meet the investor permit requirements, you must provide a letter with your application from a UK regulated bank, which confirms that your funds are disposable and available for your investment.
The documents must:
- Be dated within three months of the date of the application
- Have been issued by an authorised official
- Confirm that you have opened a bank account
- Confirm that the bank has carried out checks for money laundering
Required Documents for UK Investor Visa
You will need to provide certain information and documents with your Investor Visa application to show proof of your eligibility for the visa.
The specific documentation which you will need to provide depends on your particular circumstances. Some of the information which you will need to provide includes:
- Your passport or another identification document
- A criminal record certificate from any country which you have stayed in for at least twelve months over the previous ten years
- A portfolio of your investments (if available)
- Bank documents and/or statements from a regulated UK bank, including confirmation that you have a valid bank account to use your funds
- Tuberculosis test results (if needed)
- A certificate of marriage or civil partnership if you will be using your partner’s money
If any of your documents are not in English or Welsh, they must be translated by an accredited translator. You must include both the original and translated documents in your portfolio of evidence.
UK Tier 1 Investor Visa Fees and Application Process
You must apply online for the UK Tier 1 Investor Visa. The current fee for an Investor Visa application is £1,884. You will also need to pay £624 per year for the immigration health surcharge as an Investor Visa holder. The cost of any translation fees is something to keep in mind too.
You can expect to receive a decision within twelve weeks of the submission of your application. If there are any problems with your application, such as an insufficient portfolio of evidence, the processing of your application will be delayed. UK immigration officials may request additional documentation in these circumstances.
As part of the application process, you will need to have your fingerprints and photograph (biometric information) taken at a visa application centre in South Africa. This costs an additional £19.20.
When you arrive in the UK, you will need to collect your biometric residence permit within the first ten days of the date you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if the date you arrive in the UK is later).
The UK Investor Visa application requires applicants to provide substantial evidence to prove their eligibility for this exclusive visa. Our UK immigration lawyers are highly experienced in Tier 1 Visa applications, and we understand what it takes to formulate a successful application. To find out more about our specialist application package, please call us now on 0333 305 3612.
Can I Include Dependents in my Application?
Yes, certain family members will be able to join you as dependents in the UK. A dependent can be:
- Your spouse/civil partner/long-term partner
- A child under 18
- A child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependent
A dependent family member must provide a criminal record certificate from any country they have lived in for at least twelve months in the last ten years.
They will also need to complete an application online and have their biometric information taken. The application fee is £1,884, just as it is for Investor Visa applicants themselves.
How Long Can I Stay in the UK Under an Investor Visa?
The Investor Visa is valid for a maximum 3 years and 4 months. You can apply for an Investor Visa extension before your original visa expires, which will be valid for a further two years.
If you got your Investor Visa on or after 6th November 2014, you will need to prove that you:
- Have access to at least £2,000,000 under your control in the UK
- Have invested those funds in share capital or loan capital in active UK companies
- Have invested this sum within three months of your ‘investor start date’
It costs £1,884 to extend the Investor Visa and you will also need to still pay the annual immigration health surcharge.
Applying for UK Settlement
One of the main benefits of the Investor Visa is that it offers particularly favourable conditions towards UK settlement. Under certain circumstances, you could be eligible for UK settlement, otherwise known as Indefinite Leave to Remain, after just two years of residence.
The specific requirements differ based on when you first applied for your visa.
If you applied on or after 6 November 2014
The guidelines are as follows:
- You can apply to settle after two years if you invested £10 million
- You can apply to settle after three years if you invested £5 million
- You can apply to settle after five years if you invested £2 million
If you applied before 6 November 2014
The guidelines are as follows:
- You can apply to settle after two years if you invested £10 million in cash, £20 million in personal assets, or £10 million in a loan from a UK-regulated financial institution
- You can apply to settle after three years if you invested £5 million in cash, £10 million in personal assets, or £5 million in a loan from a UK-regulated financial institution
- You can apply to settle after five years if you invested £1 million in cash, £2 million in personal assets, or £1 million in a loan from a UK-regulated financial institution
When Can I Apply for British Citizenship?
You can apply for British citizenship after you have lived in the UK for at least twelve months under Indefinite Leave to Remain status.
As explained above, the time after which you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain depends on how much money you invested in the UK.
Provided your circumstances haven’t changed significantly, you will be eligible for British citizenship after:
- Three years of UK residency if invested £10 million
- Four years of UK residency if invested £5 million
- Six years of UK residency if invested £2 million
Last modified on February 13th, 2024 at 6:14 pm
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
The application fee is currently £1,884. Any dependents who are joining the applicant in the UK will also need to pay £1,623 for their application.
In most circumstances, you can expect to receive a decision on a UK Investor Visa within twelve weeks of submitting the application.
If your funds have not been held in your bank account for at least two years, the UKVI will require detailed evidence about the source of your funds.
Generally speaking, the following sources will be accepted:
- A sale, provided you can show a detailed deed of the sale of the assets
- Gifts, provided you have official documents from a legal advisor which confirm the relationship between you and the person giving you the funds and that the money transfer is irrevocable
- Business financial accounts
- A will, if you hold a notarised copy of the will
- Divorce settlement, if you have evidence of a notarised copy of the divorce terms
- Financial winnings or award
Your ‘investor start date’ is one of the following:
- The date you entered the UK (provided you have proof of this)
- The date your visa application was approved
- The date you officially switched from a different UK visa
There are certain things which you cannot do under a Tier 1 Investor Visa:
- You cannot access public funds
- You cannot work as professional sportsperson or coach
- You cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless specific conditions apply