Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews

UK Family Visas for South African Citizens

The Family Visa is a tier of permits for those who want to join their family in the UK from South Africa. Get in touch with our UK attorneys to find out more.

Call us on 0333 305 3612 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Family Visas for South African Citizens

    The Family Visa is a tier of permits for those who want to join their family in the UK from South Africa or other countries outside the EU and EEA (European Economic Area).

    Each visa has a different validity, cost, and processing time, depending on your relationship with a British citizen or settled person. Besides, there are several requirements you must meet to qualify for this visa, such as proving your relation to your UK-based sponsor.

    At IAS, our UK immigration attorneys have already helped several South African citizens join their family in the United Kingdom. If you wish to find out more, or if you want to receive professional assistance with your UK Family Visa application from South Africa, you can get in touch with our team.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews Logo

    Types of UK Family-Based Visas

    There is no set “Family Visa”. In fact, this is a tier including several permits for those travelling from South Africa to join their family in the UK. Before you submit your application, you must find the visa category which suits your situation. One of IAS’ UK immigration lawyers can help you choose a permit between one of the following categories:

    • Partner visas
    • Ancestry Visa
    • Dependent children and Adult visas
    • Family Visit Visas

    Partner Visa for South African applicants

    Based on your relationship with your UK-sponsor, who must be a British citizenship or settled person, you can apply for one of the following permits:

    • Spouse Visa, for those who are married to a person holding British nationality or Indefinite Leave to Remain
    • Fiance Visa, for applicants who wish to get married to their partner in the United Kingdom
    • Civil Partner and Unmarried Partner Visas, for those who wish to join their long-term partner in the UK.

    Each of these visas has different eligibility requirements and application processes. For this reason, it is always advisable to seek the advice of an expert UK application lawyer in South Africa before submitting your paperwork.

    UK Ancestry Visa for South African citizens

    To be eligible for a UK Ancestry Visa, you must:

    • Be over the age of 17
    • Prove that at least one of your grandparents was a British citizenship by birth
    • Demonstrate your relationship to a UK grandparent
    • Be a Commonwealth citizen
    • Intending to live and work in the UK permanently if your application is successful
    • Submit your application from outside the UK

    If your application is approved, you will receive a visa valid for five years.

    UK Adults and Children Dependent Visas

    Adult Dependant visa

    To be eligible for an Adult Dependant visa, you must need long-term care from a family member residing in the UK. This person can either be your child, parent, sibling, or grandchild and must be living permanently in the UK as a citizen or settled person.

    You must also demonstrate that you are unable to receive the care in South Africa or in the country you are currently living in.

    Child Dependant visa

    If you are submitting the request for a UK point-based visa, you can include your partner and children in your application. However, you must demonstrate that you have enough personal funds to support all your family members once in the UK, without claiming public funds.

    How do I prove my “good character”?

    To prove your “good character” and qualify for British citizenship, you must have always respected UK law and fulfilled all your obligations as a residence since the day you arrived in this country.

    If you hold severe or recent criminal records, including custodial sentences of more than 4 years, your British citizenship my marriage application will be automatically refused. The same applies to applicants who have been in breach of any immigration offence in the last 10 years before their application, or who have initially entered the country illegally.

    What is the British citizenship ceremony?

    Applicants who have acquired British citizenship and are aged 18 or over, will be invited to attend a proper ceremony at the end of their application process.

    You must book your ceremony within three months of receiving your invitation from the Home Office. The even will then be organized by your local council. The cost of this ceremony is £80, and it will be a private event, where you would be allowed to take up only two guests.

    If you are currently outside the UK, you can ask the UK embassy or consulate in South Africa if you can have your ceremony there.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to get UK nationality through marriage.. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Frequently Asked Questions

                You can travel to the UK with your mother and father under specific circumstances.

                For example, if they need long-term care which isn’t available in your country, they can apply for an Adult Dependant visa.

                Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, the overall processing time may vary. Besides, it may take even longer if the Home Office needs to gather more information and details about your case.

                At IAS, one of our UK immigration specialists in South Africa can help you liaise with the authorities to avoid any delay with your case. Call us today to discuss your situation and outline the processing and waiting time for your application.

                Certain types of Family Visas allow South African citizens to work in the UK. For example, if you hold a Spouse Visa, you can take on employment in this country.

                To find out more about what you can do in the UK on your visa, you can seek the advice of one of IAS’ immigration lawyers.